As Valentine’s Day approaches many husbands are wondering what they should buy for their wives. This year don’t settle for the typical chocolate and flowers. Give her something that transcends the materialism that fills that day. And, no I’m not talking about diamonds. I recently heard a radio message on Focus On The Family where the wife put a list of seven things she wants her husband and encouraged other husbands to give to their wives. I was encouraged by the message and copied the list and want to share with you also.
- Godliness – Husbands should seek the heart of God and want to do everything to please God and obey Him. The husband should love God more than his wife. If the husband loves God more than his wife then he would do everything God wants him to do to make his wife and family satisfied.
- Unconditional Love – Make a vow to love your wife in all circumstances and not only when things are going well. If you keep your vow, stick to it to love her the way Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her.
- Understanding – First Peter 3:7 says that husbands should live with their wives in an understanding, or considerate, way. Some examples are below.
- Time – Give your time to spend with your wife.
- Tender – Empathize and encourage her to be Godly and bring out the best in her.
- Thoughtful – Learn what her love language is and plan out your activity towards her. Be deliberate in the way you love her.
- Talking – Women generally love to talk. Give her your ear and engage in the conversation so that your wife feels that you are truly listening to her. You can gain a lot of information from her if you allow her to speak. If you want some “fellowship” in the evening with her, then start early in the morning.
- Provider – Work hard because work is what God has called us to do. First Timothy 5:8 says that if we don’t provide for our family, we are worse than an unbeliever. God does not promise wealth and that should not be our focus. Our focus should be to provide sustenance to our family even if it means to work two jobs.
- Protection – There are many bullies who want to take advantage of your wife and you have to do everything you can to protect her. There are many bullies: Children, parents, in-laws that interfere with her peace, and friends. You must be her bullet-proof vest.
- Trust – Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord. It’s very essential for the wife to trust her husband. Trust is one of the foundations for a strong relationship. Is your private and public life the same? Are you loyal to your wife? Do whatever is necessary to build trust between both of you.
- Servant Leader – The husband is not to usurp his authority over his wife just because the wife is to submit to him. The husband is to lead his wife sacrificially and in love as Christ did the church. Husbands are to lead their wives by example.
I hope this list has encouraged you and will challenge you to become a better husband to your bride. I hope you will add these attributes into your marriage to have an awesome relationship with her. These gifts will be cherished by her.
If you have any other attributes that has helped your marriage that is not in the list above, please list it below for everyone to read.